Thu, Sep 28|
Developing Anti-Racism Leadership Competencies to Achieve Inclusive Practices and Health Equity
Time & Location
Sep 28, 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM PDT
About The Event
September 12 - October 4, 2023 - Livestream (Virtual) - CT
This course introduces healthcare and biomedical leaders to anti-racist strategies, resources, and tools to achieve racial equity at both levels of organizational change and individual leadership practices. Participants engage in interactive exercises to evaluate their own biases and examine how they fit into the larger cultural experience in the United States. Through engaging multiple partners, participating in a series of small and large group discussions and activities, and watching and reflecting on videos, participants are empowered to explore the layers of assumptions, stereotypes, and biases, and systemic and institutionalized ideologies that lead to biased attitudes and discriminatory behavior. Participants partake in institutional and organizational problem-solving scenarios to build antiracism and racial equity competencies. This course is an essential starting point for anyone seeking to expand their knowledge on the complexities of race, gender, and class.
Nurses, NP, PA, Retiree, Allied Health
Mayo Clinic Staff
This course is designed for allied health professionals, physicians, physician assistants, healthcare executives, nurses, and nurse practitioners.Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Develop foundational knowledge of the historical and societal foundations of structural racism and anti-Blackness in America.
- Identify modern-day impacts of the historical, cultural, legal, and social foundations of structural racism and anti-Blackness in America.
- Describe tools and resources to operationalize knowledge through analysis of present day health, wellness, and economic outcomes.
- Examine the impact subjective bias has on all systems, decisions, and outcomes.
- Review the roles each of us play in upholding or disrupting systems of inequity and exclusion.